Thursday, April 7, 2016

To Volunteer at Home or Abroad

December 8, 2008

International Volunteer Day

December 5th was International Volunteer Day.  (How come no one sent me a card?     ;->) Last Spring someone asked me why I was joining the Peace Corps when there were so many Americans who needed help?  My initial response was I wanted to experience another part of the world while helping others.  A valid reason, I thought, but was it enough?  Was there more to my decision?  Or did I look at this opportunity as a two year working vacation?  Any thoughts that the PC was somehow going to be part holiday were dispelled soon after my arrival in Kyrgyzstan.  Anyway, it took me a few weeks of internal debate before I came to the following conclusion.

Millions of people need help, in America and around the world.  And millions of Americans volunteer every year.  For those of us in a position to travel abroad, that is where we should be, because not everyone's circumstances allow them to do so.  They, then, are the people who will volunteer at the local level.  Just because I am in Kyrgyzstan doesn't mean I'm doing anything more valuable or nobler than, say, my father, who drives cancer patients to their chemotherapy appointments.  We are both helping those who need it, just in different parts of the world.  Granted, I reap the benefits of experiencing a new culture and fight the battle of learning a new language, but I also live without heat and electricity for 12 hours a day.

So, to volunteers everywhere, be proud of what we do and may we continue helping others as long as we are able.  For those who would like to volunteer, but haven't yet, it's never too late to start.

A Different Kind of Internal Debate

After the meeting with my fellow teachers last week, I started to think that many Kyrgyz people, especially those who have traveled or lived in the States or Europe, must struggle mightily with the concept of one day living in a Kyrgyzstan that is “just like America.”  Their economy is free market.  They profess to have an open society.  This desire has many benefits and attendant costs associated with it.  One of the benefits is freedom of speech.  My experience tells me the Kyrgyz definition of this is “say what you want as long as it's what we want to hear.”  They seem to live by the “only we can criticize our own” philosophy.  Here is what I see as their internal debate: New World aspirations vs. an Old World mentality.  Until the latter can learn to co-exist fully with the former, Kyrgyzstan will never be “just like America.”

When I encountered a Kyrgyz (and later, a Chinese) person who had traveled or lived abroad, I jumped at the chance to ask them what they thought of the west. I had a few such discussions with two Kyrgyz students who took part in the Erasmus Mundus program. One of them studied in Belgium, the other in Spain. After their year-long experience abroad, they both expressed a desire to live in a western country but neither thought they would have the opportunity. I joked that they should find a foreigner and get married.

My stock question was always, give me your impression of the country you visited/lived in in a few words. Some people would say the availability of goods and services, others would mention the beauty of the countries, but they all talked about freedom. These two students talked about availability and freedom.

They were stunned by how much of everything they could buy, whether it was clothing, foods, technology, you name it. This might not have been such a big deal to a Chinese student, but for a Kyrgyz girl, it was eye-opening. Even in Bishkek, there wasn’t the variety of stuff that they saw in Europe. One girl saw a restaurant that served food from Senegal or Ethiopia, I can’t remember clearly. She had never heard of the country. The availability of everything they wanted and so many things they never knew existed overwhelmed them until they were settled in. Because of this abundance, the girls thought everyone in the west was wealthy. I told them it just seemed like that because poverty is often hidden in developed countries and their new friends wouldn’t be inclined to show the negative side of their countries.

No matter what people from developing countries think about the US, it’s been my experience that they all envy the freedom we’re allowed. Initially, these students were wary when told they could speak their minds freely. It took them a while to open up about Kyrgyzstan to their newfound friends. I used to do an exercise with my Chinese students where they would write the first three words that came to mind when I said United States. Freedom often topped the list and made the top three in every class. Other popular words were rich, NYC and Hollywood. Then I asked to do the same thing for China. Modest, hardworking and intelligent described their country most accurately according to them. Freedom was rarely written on any students’ list.

My most interesting discussion took place in an airport waiting for a flight. A Chinese woman who had grown up in a small village near Nanchang, where I taught, was returning to visit her family. She had married an Irish fellow, lived in Dubai and South Africa and presently resided in Singapore. It soon became very evident this native Chinese woman had an adverse opinion about her native land. She felt in general that the people were rude, boorish and inconsiderate, all traits that I had encountered as well, but I didn’t have the cultural connection so they were easier for me accept. She was basically telling me she felt ashamed. When I asked how long she would be in Nanchang, she replied, “For one very long week.”