Monday, April 4, 2016

Packages from Home; Thanksgiving and Our Dog

December 6, 2008

Mail Call

Back in August several trainees began receiving packages from home.  There'd be a crowd around them for the carton's Grand Opening.  You could hear the oohs and aahs as items were pulled from the box; candy, mac & cheese, Kool-Aid.  At the time I thought, 'How nice.  They're young.  You won't see me acting like that over a silly package.'  Yeah, right.  Yesterday I received a text from a fellow volunteer saying I had a package at the Post Office.  Given the trouble I've had receiving anything from the States, I was skeptical.  Still, I was up and out the door very early this morning.  When the lady actually gave me the package, I felt like someone had just handed me my newborn child.  I was the proud daddy of a package from my folks.

When I got home, I wanted to open it, but didn't really want to do it alone.  I wanted my own crowd ooh-ing and aah-ing. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long.  Two of my students were coming over this morning to give me some potatoes.  I ushered them into the living room and made them watch as I pulled each item and explained it in detail.  “Now, this is thermal underwear.  For when it gets really cold, ya know?”  Like they've never seen any before.  They were happy to eat some Twizzlers, though.  So was I.  'Twere not a Twizzler that saw the light of Sunday morn. (I'm typing this Saturday night.)  The winter clothes are being worn as I type.  One of the packages of tuna will be dinner after I finish this email.  And the DVDs of 20 Hitchcock films will get me through many a cold winter's eve.  Yes, I was a child today, full of joy and appreciation, thinking how lucky I am to have such a great support system.  Two more packages are on the way.  When they arrive, I'll be texting my students, telling them to get over here for more Grand Openings.  Oooooh, yeah!

Let Me See Your Passport

As I was putting my newly purchased persimmons in my backpack, I was approached by a guy.  He said hello and asked for my passport.  I asked, “ким?” (Who are you?)  He showed his police ID.  I showed him my Peace Corps ID.  He was satisfied and walked away.    He was working in plain clothes at the bazaar.  Must be where all the foreign subversives hang out, I don't know.  We get approached on occasion, but usually only in Bishkek.  Oh well, first time for everything.

Our Dog

The attachment named Lyka is our dog.  He's as friendly as can be and as I'm the only person that pays him any attention, he goes crazy every time he sees me.  I feel bad for him as he's on a leash that can't be more than 10 feet long.  And no matter how cold it gets, he has to sleep outside in his dog house.  I mean, I know they're built for the weather, but still.  I'd let him sleep in my room, but I'd have to give him a bath first.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Two pics from our dinner held at a local cafe.  Great food.  A turkey and chicken and everybody brought a dish to pass.  My deviled eggs vanished very quickly.  I promised to make them again at our Xmas dinner.  We all said what we were thankful for. I said I was thankful my family was healthy.  It was the first time all 14 of us from the oblast were together.  I split after a couple of hours when the vodka made its appearance.  



Relief accompanied the giddiness I felt upon the receipt of the CARE package from my folks. I never received the first one they sent. That doesn’t mean it didn’t reach Talas, because to this day, I believe it did. One insurmountable obstacle stood—sat, actually, as the lazy cow couldn’t be bothered to move—in my way of ever knowing the truth: the bulwark that commanded that section of the post office. For over a week she continually denied it was my package. I had one of my students ask if I could just go into the backroom and check the address label. No. This lady was the bane of many volunteers' existence, not just me. Based on her tremendous girth, it was thought that cookies and candies from the bazaar would find her more accommodating. Nope, it just found her in a larger dress. Actually, after several months she would occasionally get out of her chair and look in the back room, but the only real progress I was able to make with her was when she’d yell ‘jok’ (no) across the long room the second she saw my face in the doorway saving me the walk to hear it at the counter.

Also in the book, more postal horror stories, the joys of receiving packages and why I felt uncomfortable at large social gatherings.