Monday, April 25, 2016

Dealing With the Age Gap

January 19, 2009

Hey,

I was in Bishkek last week for PC meetings and didn't have access to a computer, nor time to write. Back in Bishkek this week for a drama workshop at American University of Central Asia. As you might guess, it's a treat to be here because everybody at the school speaks English. Well, almost everybody. More on that when I write the recap this weekend

In-Service Training (IST)

Last week I didn't have access to a computer because I was at IST, one of the mandatory trainings of our service. The first two days we worked with our counterparts (CP), our teaching partners. Since I'm at a new school, with a new CP, a school that's never had a volunteer, it was essential she attend. I can always use more teacher training and she definitely needed it because the PC system was totally foreign to her. She left on Wednesday and I wish I could have gone with her.

If I were never to see my fellow volunteers ever again, save two or three, it would be all right with me. I'm kidding, but being around them is like taking a trip to 30 years ago. I see them and I'm looking into a human mirror. I've written about this before, but their behavior, well maybe I'm just gettin' old and cranky. Actually, it's hard to admit that I know now what I was like at 22. I was doing the same stuff they are. Ain't pretty now and I'm sure it wasn't then, either. For example, I walked past the same volunteer every morning, on purpose, just to smell if he reeked of the previous night's revelry. There wasn't a single morning he let me down. At least he wore a sport coat and tie every day in an effort to distract people from looking at his Rand McNally eyes. I really do like most of my peers and had some wonderful conversations last week; and as long as they don't intrude into my space with their youthful frivolity, I say let them live and learn like I did. Hopefully, it won't take them as long as it took me.

That said, maybe this puerile behavior has its plus side. Both our Country Director and Program Training Officer mentioned we are a special group of volunteers, having lost only 3 since swearing in. Outside of medical or disciplinary separation, I don't see us losing many more over the next 19 months. In truth, I'm proud to be a part of such a group; the service part.


Holy man, another entry related to age. Reading these emails for the first time since I wrote them, I’ve been repeatedly surprised at the frequency with which the subject affected my PC life, not always in a negative way, but to the point I felt the need to write about it. I’m suffering from serious brain strain in an effort to stay original regarding this topic as I lost copious amounts of cerebral matter when I was the age of my young compatriots. Well, let me have a try, anyway.

Also in the book: what being around young volunteers taught me; why we were one hotel away from sleeping in tents.

President Obama

By the time many of you read this we will officially have a new president. There has to be an optimistic aura enveloping the entire country. As one volunteer, who's been away from America since 2005, told me, “For the first time in four years, I don't have to pretend I'm Canadian.” Now, if he can create good paying jobs for all those who have lost theirs recently, including some people close to me, I'll be a happier man. The eyes of the world undoubtedly will monitor Obama's first 100 days with more scrutiny than any president in my life time. I believe he's up to the task, although as my students say, “Time will show.” And just in case you think I'm not doing my job over here, they used to say that. Now they say, “Time will tell.”

Barack Obama has less than a year left in his second term as I write this and it’s pretty incredible that he has accomplished so much in the face of unprecedented obstruction from an opposing party. Hail to the Chief!