Monday, April 18, 2016

The Kyrgyz Education System Explained

December 24, 2008

The Kyrgyz Education System and Me

This could be a long one, ladies and gentlemen, so go to the bathroom, grab the beverage of your choice and a snack and enjoy.

I've been wanting to write about this for quite some time, but thought better of posting it to my blog because I was trying to be sensitive to the citizenry of Kyrgyzstan.  We know what good that did me.

The other day I signed an agreement to teach at a new school, beginning January 5th.  The reasons for my move are both personal and professional.  Obviously, one of the reasons was the blog issue.  I didn't like having to censor myself, nor did I appreciate being told I was the individual who had to change, with no effort put forth by my young Kyrgyz co-workers to try and understand my point of view or offer any compromise regarding the blog.  Still, I was willing to take one for the team and stay because I really like my students.  But, when a teammate invades my privacy, the entire ball club can kiss my behind.  On two occasions I gave my flash drive to my counterpart, the one person I felt I could trust, to copy our class syllabi.  Weeks later, upon seeing the desktop of her laptop, I discovered she had helped herself to all the files on it.  These included some of my plays and personal documents.  What shocked me more than seeing them was the fact that she didn't even hide them in a folder.  I didn't even take the issue to my department head.  I immediately called my PC Program Manager and told her to please find me a new school.  Initially, she wanted to transfer me to a new site, but I like Talas, have made some good friends and didn't want to leave.  She also explained to me that privacy is not taken as seriously here as back in the US of A.  Okay, so those are the personal reasons.

Professionally, I wasn't being challenged enough at the U.  I felt this way even before the reasons stated above.  If you're going to teach in the PC, the university is the ivory tower.  You live in a city which means amenities like a decent bazaar, Internet connections, and cafes and stores that carry a wider variety of foods than if you lived in a village.  You're surrounded by people who speak English and people who want to learn it.  The levels of competency run the scale, but I speak English about 99% of the time.  If I lived in a village, I'd be forced to learn a language I'm not too keen on and won't do me any good once I leave here, simply because they don't have very many English speakers.  (Beginning in January I'm taking Russian classes.  Finally, I'll be able to read the menus in the cafes.  And if I ever get down to Brighton Beach...) I teach Conversational English, if you can call sitting around chatting teaching.  It's like having my own talk show, albeit with the same guests every day.  Yeah, it's the good life, relatively speaking, but it's not enough.  I was asking the universe if it thought I would be more effective in a different environment and voila!

My new school is called a college.  In the States it would be most like a community college.  Maybe this would be a good place to describe the educational system in Kyrgland.  Much of it has been held over from Soviet times.  The first section of a student's career is a combination of primary and secondary school, from Forms 1-11, equivalent to the same grades in America.  All 11 years are spent in the same building.  After 11th Form, students can move on to a university, which is 5 years (years 12- 16 in our system) so they graduate at 22.  Or, they can leave secondary school after the 9th Form and attend a college for 3 years.  My college offers agriculture, bookkeeping, veterinary medicine and a couple other disciplines, but I forget what they are.  After this, students usually move on to university for their final four years.  There are also stand-alone technical and medical colleges. The young woman who lives with us attends the medical college and is studying to be a pharmacist.

Why will my new job be more challenging?  Simple.  At the university, most (no, not all) of the students in the English department spoke it at some level of being able to communicate.  At the college, the reverse is true.  There is no English Department at my new school.  And the students only take it their first two years.  The third year is spent on their specialization.  Three teachers make up the department.  They each possess one copy of a 20 year old text book from the Soviet days from which to teach.  There are 3 computers in the entire school and no Internet.  My desire to teach younger students with fewer English skills was granted.  And I can't wait to begin.  At the U, maybe two or four students came to my extra classes.  At the college, 40 have signed up.  They are hungry for some English.  At the university, although I love my students, they think they're God's gift to English speakers simply because they're in the English Dept.

I mentioned that all 11 grades are taught in the same building.  Well, the students also take all their classes all 11 years with the same classmates.  It's the Group mate system (another Soviet holdover).  It stems from the collectivist culture of Kyrgyzstan; one for all and all for one.  The problem is it doesn't foster individual thinking.  The same system holds at the university.  For example, my 5th course students are divided into two sections of about 12 students each.  These 12 students all take the same classes all five years.  When I asked a student a question and they either didn't understand or couldn't think of the words to respond in English, 8 group mates are whispering the word or response in Kyrgyz so the student isn't embarrassed.  Sounds good, but how is that student going to learn if their group mates are always feeding them the answers.  And this is why some students reach 5th course and can't answer “What is your favorite food?”  Their listening skills are non-existent because they've never had to listen.  Their group mates listen for them.  I hope I can have a positive impact with the younger students so that when they get to 5th course they can hold a conversation with someone in English.  Alone.

Two more things and I'll wrap this up.  One, there is no such thing as an elective.  If you decide to enter the English Department, you will study English, a second foreign language (most take Russian or German) and how to become a teacher.  That's it.  The students have no other options.  The curriculum is set for their entire 5 years.  I understand this is going to change in the near future, but “near” in Kyrgyzstan could mean years. Two, grades don't mean squat in this country for several reasons.

Living in New York I learned that everything is available for a price and if you're willing to pay it, it's yours.  (I had a boss who wanted to see The Lion King so badly—back when the performances were sold out months in advance—paying $500 a ticket to see it within two weeks was worth it to him.)  Same thing takes place here, but on a smaller scale.  I've heard of students who never attended a SINGLE CLASS for five years, but were standing on the stage on graduation day after their fathers visited the school.  If the teachers were paid a decent salary, they wouldn't have to supplement their income, if you know what I mean.

The grades here run from 1-5, with 5 being an A.  Get a 3 or above and you pass.  Translated into numbers, the bottom of the 3 range (a C in the States) is 56 (78 in the States back when I was in school).  So, you only need to know half of the material to pass.  I had students that didn't reach that level so I gave them a 2.  By the time that grade reaches the official grade book, that 2 will take on a new shape:  3. Like it even matters.  One student's appearance at the final—a 5 minute oral exam—was her first since the first class of the semester.  I had no idea what grade to give her, zero was out of the question, so I asked her.  She said, with a straight face, “A three.”  Okay.

Many female students get married while they attend university, some as young as 18. They usually have a child fairly quickly.  When they do, they quit coming to school.  Example. I had a student who dropped out two years ago because she got married and gave birth.  Then she had another child.  This semester she decided to return to school.  Did she pick up where she left off? Nope. She left in 2nd course, her group mates are now in 4th course, and so is she.  She lost 3 semesters of schooling and will never recover those lost classes.  That's because of the group mate system.  I must ask someone what logic is behind this practice.

So, between group mates feeding answers, not having to make up for courses missed and (allegedly) paying for grades, you can understand how someone in the English Department can get to graduation day without being able to hold a simple conversation in English.  On the other hand, the system works well for the motivated students, just like anywhere.  I have met several legitimate highly educated, multi-lingual graduates in my short time here.

What I've tried to do is describe the Kyrgyz system so you can compare.  Nothing I have written has been fabricated or exaggerated.  And lest you think I'm letting the United States off the hook, we all know there are schools in America that are grade factories and teachers will give students grades they don't deserve for various reasons (you know what I'm talkin' about), and we have plenty of unmotivated students, etc.  No system is perfect, but some are better than others.

The move to the new school definitely improved my teaching skills. I learned to be more patient and realized the students almost always knew less than I thought they would; even the simplest words and phrases confounded them. ‘What is your favorite (color, food)?’; ‘How old are you?’; ‘Where do you live?’ are just a few. By the time I began teaching in China I was well-prepared to start with basics, as in a few classes I felt the room was full of primary school students instead of English majors. That said, their English was miles ahead of my Chinese.