Thursday, March 10, 2016

We Be Bakin'

November 16, 2008

We Be Bakin’

Pizza. Chicken. Chocolate chip cookies. Pot roast. Muffins. Squash. My mouth waters at the thought of these foods. And they will be a reality now that I have my brand new oven. I think this replaces my radio as “best purchase since I've been here.” It will not fulfill all of my culinary cravings because, out of respect for my family, I will not cook pork in it, but it will expand my menu to the point I won't think I'm eating only potatoes and carrots all winter.

It carries a 2 year warranty which is useless in Kyrgyzstan. The reason? It's made in China. Like that was supposed to explain everything. When told that in America the warranty would be in effect, the saleslady didn't believe it. One of my students said the reason merchants don't honor the warranties on products is because they don't have to. The consumers don't demand that they do. Help Wanted: Consumer Advocate for Kyrgyz Republic. The way I look at it, if it breaks after two years, what do I care? I'm outta here.


My host mother, Gulmira, was thrilled that I wanted to buy an oven. She accompanied me to the bazaar to be my bargainer and make sure I bought a decent one. I have been trying to remember what I paid for it. I want to say about $40, but that might be a little high. I recall being happy with the price Gulmira negotiated and after learning that the 2-year guarantee was worthless, we found a taxi and headed home.

Also in the book: what ingredients make up a Kyrgyz pizza; the battle for my oven when I left the PC; and the hierarchy of quality in goods sold in Kyrgyzstan (based on country of manufacture).