Thursday, March 17, 2016

Living Without What I Once Took for Granted

November 25, 2008

What’s Missing in My City?

We take so many things for granted in the States. I don't take anything for granted over here. What I know we don't have is a phone book. How do people learn the number of the bank or the bakery? I doubt that 411 exists. And I'm almost positive there is no 911. As far as I know my city has no fire department. Maybe there's no need because all the houses are made of cement. I know we don't have regular electricity. Most days it's off for 12 hours; six in the afternoon (which makes no sense from a business standpoint, only an economic one as in cost savings for the country) and six at night (usually midnight to six; I can live with that). Indoor plumbing is found only in apartments and some commercial buildings. My school building does not have it. Early on, volunteers learn where the indoor toilets are and which ones we are free to use. I used to have that same problem in Manhattan once in a while, especially before Starbucks. Something else you won't find in my city is a garbage can, but I won't get into that. Let's just say that street side landfills are all the rage. 


Approximately 30,000 people call Talas home, so I was able to find everything I needed to live comfortably, even if not everything I was used to. I have a feeling my expectations fell below those of my younger peers making my satisfaction level easier to achieve. That said, living wasn’t always convenient. Obviously, I had access to the Internet but was at the mercy of the electric company. Often my postings were delayed a day when the power was out. 

Also in the book: If I wanted to eat something besides Kyrgyz food, what were my choices? Why do Kyrgyz people use empty lots to dump their trash and who benefits from it?