Monday, March 28, 2016

Closing the Blog: My True Feelings

November 30, 2008

Scribblings of a Peace Corps Volunteer Redux

Hello and welcome to the new blog, almost the same as the old blog.  I know I won't get fooled again.  For some of you there is no change as you were sent an email every time I posted an entry.  For others, you'll no longer go to the blog and see there hasn't been any action.  All my news will come to you via personal email.  In many ways, this will be better.  It's sorta like an investigative reporter going from a major network to PBS.  You'll see and read things here that never would have made the public blog.

Many of you may wonder what caused the closing of the blog.  Well, it was basically one post from way back at the beginning of November; the one about the party on Teachers Day.  Seems some of my non-drinking co-workers (the royal English staff) took offense to being lumped together with some of their counterparts (the vodka guzzling proletarian Russian teachers).  They thought everybody who read that post would automatically label them alcoholics.  This led to me not being invited to any function where they'd be present for fear that I'd write something libelous or sleazy about them.  Then they didn't want to be in the same room with me at school because they found other posts which offended them.  It became a bit of a witch hunt.  There was one about the end of Ramadan where I omitted an important fact—a fact no one told me about when Ramadan was being explained to me, yet I was somehow supposed to miraculously know about it anyway when I wrote my entry.  In a couple of posts I mentioned how cool it was that so many Kyrgyz people know so many songs.  I meant it as a compliment.  Well, it wasn't according to the cultural sensitivity patrol.  They said when people read about how many songs Kyrgyz people know, is it because of their cultural pride or because they drink vodka at so many parties.  (During the two-hour meeting we had the other day to clear up these misunderstandings, i.e., my blatant insensitivity, everything always found its way back to the teachers Day post.)  I'll admit that I made some mistakes in a couple of posts.  I should have asked the extra question.  That I didn't was negligence on my part.  Was it intentional?  No.  Did it matter to my detractors?  No.

I don't want to ramble forever about this, although I could, but I knew I was going to lose this battle from the start when one of my peers—They're not my peers, dammit.  They speak and teach incorrect grammar.  I'm better than they are!  Now, that's insensitive.  And I would never write anything like that.  However, I honestly believe they feared I would.  Sorry for the digression.—when one of my peers said that upon returning from visiting another country, she only relates the good things she experienced.  Yeah, I knew victory was out of the question after hearing that.

Lose the battle, win the war.  I deplore censorship and now I don't have to adhere to it.  That said, I'm not out to expose all things bad in Kyrgyzstan, although as a developing nation there is no shortage of negatives.  I will continue to educate and entertain in a professional manner, highlighting the positives whenever I have the chance.  And also rest easy knowing the eyes of a small group of educators won't be looking.

Finally, I want to say two things.  First, if you don't want to receive these emails, simply let me know and I'll remove your name.  Second, please DO NOT forward these emails to anyone.  Read and delete is what I hope you will do.  The more people that see them, the greater chance the wrong person will see them.  Did you know the Peace Corps tapes some of the phone calls their staff makes to volunteers?  We're not supposed to know that but the Country Director's assistant is a good friend of mine and she told me.  Who knows what they'll do to keep an eye on us.  The Kyrgyz PC folks know I've shut down my blog and they know why.  Basically, I ain't trustin' nobody but a few.

All my Best,

Michael


If two of my family members had listened to my “read and delete” desire, I would not be sitting at my laptop writing this book. Why? Because shortly before I left Kyrgyzstan my computer crashed and I lost everything, blog posts, emails, photos. My niece and sister had saved them. I’m eternally grateful.

Also in the book: more indepth analysis of why I truly believe the attack on my blog was personal and how it changed the way I interact with people I've just met, both home and abroad.