Monday, March 21, 2016

Relationship, Michael? Sure, uh, Maybe, um...

November 25, 2008

Dating in Kyrgyzstan

Dating like we know it in the States is on the rise in this country, but it differs in one significant way. The term “casual dating” does not exist. Yes, girls have boyfriends, but my students tell me the end desire is always marriage, at least for most Kyrgyz girls. I hear the Russian girls tend to have more of a Western outlook when it comes to boyfriends. You'd be hard pressed to find an over-30, never-been-married, single Kyrgyz girl in this country. Hell, over 25 isn't very common, although I do know a couple of 27 year-olds in Bishkek. They both have masters’ degrees from American University of Central Asia and their families think they will never find a husband. Also, the men of Kyrgyzstan want their wives to be virgins. And I believe many are when they marry. 

Personally, I'm petrified of asking a woman to something as innocent as dinner at a cafĂ© for fear her father will show up at my door the next day saying his daughter costs 100,000 soms and 20 cows. Yes, dowries, or whatever they are called here, are still paid in this country. If the groom's family doesn't have the financial wherewithal to pay, they simply kidnap the girl. It's a practice called “bride kidnapping.” It can be a pretty complicated affair. Google it. 

The most important thing my two years in Kyrgyzstan taught me, as far as lifestyle was concerned, was that I liked living abroad and wanted to continue to do so. As an English teacher I could live virtually anywhere I desired. This would be more easily accomplished alone. I’ve always preferred the freedom of movement to long-term commitment. I married once and almost tried twice after that, but could never pull the trigger.

I was 55 when I finished with the PC. I stood on the threshold of realizing another long held dream; I wanted to see some of the world on someone else’s dime. My time in China allowed me to enjoy my two loves, teaching and traveling. My students used to kid me by saying teaching was my hobby and traveling my full-time job. Being a husband, most likely a father, and having to work harder than I wanted to support my family held little to no appeal.

Would I like to be in a relationship again? Sure. On my terms. This sounds selfish, but I’m not hurting anyone by standing by them, except maybe myself. First, I want someone who possesses the time to travel, someone like a teacher, with winter and summer breaks. Second, marriage is not a priority, but certainly a possibility.


Will I find someone to meet these two conditions? Maybe, but not until I settle in one place, find my base point. By the time I’ve been in Mexico six months, I will have looked at three cities as possible homes. I’d like to look at a couple more countries before I finally decide. The nice thing about this is that I’m perfectly happy living sans “that special lady.” Perhaps I’d be happier with her, perhaps not. As a loner by nature, I find peace in solitude and I almost never argue with myself.