Thursday, February 18, 2016

Livin' Large

September 20, 2008

Yes, That’s Right, I’m Now a Peace Corps Staff Writer

Well, not exactly, because I’m guessing a staff writer would actually collect a salary, but I have been asked/chosen to journal my experiences here in Kyrgyzstan. This is in addition to this blog. I think the other gig will be for the PC web site. I’ll know more in a few days when I receive a detailed email. I’m guessing my writing style will have to change somewhat for the PC journal. More straightforward and less of what I think. Or maybe not. More to come.

Livin’ Large

I’m guessing a lot of folks might be wondering, now that Michael’s a full-fledged volunteer, how much is he being given for a living stipend? Good question. And it was answered yesterday when they gave me my money. I’d love to tell you how much my host family gets each month for housing me, but I think that might get me in trouble. I’ll say this much. It ain’t a lot. As for me, I’m told my monthly living allowance is enough to cover my food, toiletries, any clothes I might need, my time at the internet cafe and other incidentals. And I’m supposed to do this on less than $5 a day. Since I’m not drinking over here, I should be able to get by. And I was actually thinking I’d be getting less som than I am, so I’m kinda happy, feeling like I’m awash in Kyrgyz cash. I wasn’t too in love with money before entering the PC. I’m likely to be less so when I return to the States (which may not be in two years).

A thousand people would give a thousand definitions of what living large means to them. If I compared my monthly stipend to my host family in Talas, my income to theirs, we’d match up pretty well. They had two salaries, the small convenience store and a few dozen sheep to sell. They were considered middle class. In another comparison...