Thursday, February 18, 2016

Culture Day Photos

These are from Culture Day in my training village. It took place on August 16th. One photo is me in traditional Kyrgyz clothing. Another photo is my host family sister (isn't she cute?), my host mother and the daughter of another host family. And the third pic is all the trainees dancing at a reenactment of a Turkish wedding. You can see the bride dressed in the white veil in the rear of the crowd.

I saw many, many photos of Kyrgyz people during my service and I can't remember a single person who smiled in their photo. Just last week I sent my host sister a message asking her why this is. Her reply, "I really don't know." 

I'm not sure how many other photos I can include in this book, because shortly before my service ended, my computer crashed and I lost everything. I thought I had lost these emails, but thankfully, my sister and my niece had saved them. I took that as a sign to write about my experiences.