Thursday, January 21, 2016

Keepin' Kleen Kyrgyz Style

July 28, 2008

Keepin’ Kleen Kyrgyz Style


There was a time when I would go crazy if I didn't shower every day. How could I put on clothes without a thorough scrubbing and hair washing? And shave with cold water? Unthinkable. Put on socks over feet with dust ingrained in my heels from walking the dirt roads of the village? Are you kidding me? While it seems longer, that time was only a few weeks ago. Suffice it to say, since arriving in Kyrgyzstan, my acceptable standards of hygiene have shifted downward. This does not mean I traipse around my village looking like Pigpen from Peanuts. Far from it. But, two sun showers a week are a treat and daily (cold water) bucket baths are the norm for starting the day. A sun shower is washing with water from a small barrel, suspended above my head, which has been heated by the sun. They're actually pretty neat. Oh, and did I mention I may wear the same clothes a few times before washing them? Yup. And it doesn't matter, because while they may have some miles on them between washings, they're pressed and really don't smell so bad, at least not to me. Of course, one thing I learned is that if you wear the same pair of pants for too many days in a row, when you take them off they will take a few additional steps on their own. And it’s convenient to put them back on because they are standing where you left them. There are other reasons for multiple donnings (is that a word?!). I brought three pairs of pants and only slightly more shirts and since there's not a laundromat for miles, I have to wash my clothes by hand. It's damn hard work and not something I want to do more than once every ten days or so. I'm not sure why I'm writing about this except that I have an altered perspective on life ever since I began brushing my teeth every morning, standing in the backyard, while gazing at majestic snow-capped mountains. 

How well did I adapt to showering daily after my PC days? Also, in the book, why I never want to hand-wash clothes again.