Wednesday, June 8, 2016

A Sentence That Describes Me Well

February 15, 2009

Words to Live By

I'm a fairly avid reader and over the years, while enjoying one of my favorite pastimes, I have been searching for words that I feel best describe me.  You know, how I've lived, why I do what I do, why I have the values and philosophies I do, etc.  I've looked in Shakespeare, self-help books, cookbooks, you name it.  Some seem to be a good fit at first glance, but further inspection (introspection may be a better word) deems them inadequate.  I think the major pitfall in assigning a specific quote or sentence to definitively describe us as beings—if it can, in fact, be done to any degree of accuracy and long term personal satisfaction—lies in over-romanticizing who we believe ourselves to be.  Or would like others to see us.  So, although I believe I've found the words that best fit me, they are only my truth as I see myself.   

I found “my” sentence while reading a novel by Chingis Aitmatov, the best known Kyrgyz writer to date.  He is held in god-like esteem in this country, even more so since his death in early 2008 at the age of 79.  He's a fabulous novelist.  The three stories I read centered on peasant life in Kyrgyzstan during communist times and all took place in and near the village where he was raised in western Kyrgyzstan, close to the Kazakh border.  I don't know if these words are his or he borrowed them from someone for his book, but as soon as I read them, I said aloud, “That's me.”

I like the sentence because it certainly describes my writing.  Early on, people asked why this white guy had mostly black characters in his plays.  And does he think he knows them well enough to write them with any authenticity?  Rather than give into the criticism, I stayed true to me heart and wrote what I felt.  I also feel it hits at the core of why I've made the decisions and moves I have in my life.  Now, I realize this sentence may sound to some like it should be ascribed to more heroic figures than myself and I risk being chided, accused of having delusions of grandeur or totally dismissed.  Maybe, if I were on the outside looking in, I would think similar thoughts.  But, I'm not, so I don't.  So, without further ado or explanation, here are my words which I feel I have lived by:

Courage and Risk are born of the Same Mother.

Emotion has always determined what lay ahead for me in life. Well, since I graduated from college, anyway. When a change enters my consciousness, a long drawn out thought process isn’t invited to the mental discussion. 

In the book: more about the risk taking life I've led.